wedding planning

Questions & Answers

1.Who pays for the wedding?
2.Where do I start with my guest list?
3.Who do we invite if we're getting married abroad?
4.Who sends the invitations and when?
5.Should I set a dress code?
6. What time should the bride & groom get to the ceremony?
7.Do my bridesmaids enter before or after me?
8. What duties do the best man and ushers have?
9.Can my pet dog be part of my wedding?
10.Do we have to have favours?
11.Do we need a receiving line?
12.Should we offer a choice of food?
13.When are the speeches and in what order?
14.When should we register our gift list?
15.Can we ask for cash instead of presents?

16. Looking to celebrate a birthday not a wedding? See for gift ideas to impress

What's On the Web


SPECIAL LICENCES A special licence permits a marriage to be solemnized on ...

SPECIAL LICENCES A special licence permits a marriage to be solemnized on any date in any properly licensed church. Such licences are however only granted by the Archbishop of Canterbury via the Faculty Office at 1, The Sanctuary, Westminster, London W.1. Before a special licence can be granted the Archbishop has to be satisfied of a sufficient reason why the ordinary licence is not suitable to the bridal couple's needs (such as, for example, a sudden call to go abroad on military service). When a special licence has been granted there is no restriction on the residence of the parties or time. MARRIAGE BEFORE A REGISTRAR When a marriage in a register office is planned, one or both of the parties should call on the local superintendent registrar.

He will make the necessary arrangements for the wedding, which can be by certificate or by licence. In the case of a marriage by certificate an official form must be filled in giving the names of the contracting parties, their ages and addresses and the address of the building in which the wedding is to take place.

The document concludes with a signed declaration that there is no legal objection to the marriage. In the case of couples under age there must also be a statement that the minors' parents or guardians have given their consent. As in the case of a church wedding, those who supply false information on such a document render themselves liable to prosecution under the Perjury Acts.

Prior to a register office wedding, both parties must have lived for seven days before the application within the area controlled by the registrar. If either lives outside the district they must make an independent declaration before their own local Registrar, once again the definition of local being the area in which a person who wishes to be married has lived a minimum of seven days prior to the declaration. Having satisfied himself that the information which has been given him / her is correct, the superintendent registrar will make the necessary entry in the notice website and issue a certificate three weeks later.

The ceremony may then take place on any date within the three months following the entry in the notice website. It is from the date of this entry and not the three months following the issue of the certificate that the marriage can legally take place.

If the register office wedding is to be by licence, the declaration to be made is similar. However only one of the contracting parties need apply to the registrar, even if the other lives in a different registration area. It is however necessary for the one of the couple who gives the notice to have been resident in the area for fifteen days previously. The superintendent registrar, if satisfied with the information received, will make his entry in the notice website and issue the licence one clear day afterwards (not counting Sundays, Christmas Day and Good Friday). The licence holds good for three months.

It Must Be Remembered That It Is Necessary To Produce Before The ...

The only other instances of women being allowed to conduct marriage ceremonies ...

The only other instances of women being allowed to conduct marriage ceremonies occurs in those branches of

Noncomformist Weddings Where The Minister Of The Selected Church Or Chapel Is ...

NONCOMFORMIST WEDDINGS Where the minister of the selected church or chapel is 'an authorized person' and the building in which he or she performs duties has been registe